Friday, June 03, 2005

In perfect harmony...

Ever since someone told me that there was a slight problem in my harmonization one night when the sound was not good and I couldn't hear myself that well, I've sort of lost my ability to instantly put myself into harmony's space. It's so odd. I can still harmonize fine, but it's like I need a roadmap now to get there, whereas before I could plunge in and land where the music demanded with pinpoint accuracy. Words have power. Anyway, tonight is the Shabbat at the temple where I work as sideman with my guitar and my back vocals. It's a well-worn harmonic path, so it's not an issue. But I do miss the mindless zen of instant harmony. Tonight marks the first time Jack is officially off the gig. Gracie may not even join me. It's not the same without my family.

No comments: